So I got a letter from Cingular informing me that i'm now eligible for a phone upgrade (what a suck ass marketing scheme...basically means that in order for me to take advantage of the 'proposed' upgrade, I have to renew my already existing 2-year contract which is expiring in a couple of months...i say NO!)
moving on...
I can talk shit about Cingular all day but i'd rather focus on the imagery of the black envelope. I have to admit, the black envelop they used for their marketing scheme was quite scrumptious...as yummy as the chocolate chip cookie i'm consuming right now...yes indeed. I think this brought up a very good point in design: that the "unexpected" reigns supreme if the goal of the design is to capture people's attention. When one thinks of Cingular, the usual association is with its color; the fascinating thing about it though was that by purely extracting the object of its most inherent characteristic, which in this case is the color orange, we are able to see possibilities in form. Hence, design education's push for logos/logotypes that can work well and transfer as black and white. Good Form Equals Good Gestalt; Black is just effin UNIVERSAL and way cool...something about the effects of a less saturated, white type on black background; a simple play on positive-negative image that works well. Props to Cingular's innovative attempt...but that's about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment