
currently listening to Trick Baby's "Nine Parts of Desire"CAVALLI
12.2.05: Design class was extraordinary lengthy...huge amounts of important information condensed in a 7 hour-straight lecture...touching on topics such as: technicalities, business, law, layout, money, government, ethics, portfolio etc. One of the more interesting topics was portfolio "content considerations." So the article we had to read specified that "sexually-explicit material" need not be in a student portfolio...I brought up the issue to the class and our teacher made a really good point about the whole thing. I seriously thought she was going to go and support what the article had proposed but she was able to present both sides of the situation. She said that if the design was tasteful and done in a great manner, then there's no problem to it. She also mentioned that I needed to be aware of the environment (corporate culture) of the place i'm presenting my portfolio to. A great point was made when she specified that if she was to present the same "sexy material" to a client and the client was not open-minded enough to even give her a chance, then she probably won't want to work with that client. Which leads me to this question: WHO specifies "tasteful portrayal"? should i be listening to the media who was originally and intentionally perpetuating continuous stereotypes? i'm not in the position to say that my works doesn't do so because i'm aware that part of my skills and vision were partly shaped by the media around me (disclaimer: the mock Roberto Cavalli designs I created above were not intended to perpetuate stereotypes, it was just an experiment in layout and direction). Sex Sells...that's reality but when does it go so far? Everything is subjective in this world...in my opinion Objectivity is Subjectivity in Disguise. just something to think about....
DEATH
12.3.05: A terrible tragedy happened yesterday here in The Village. While enjoying my late-night dinner, roomie called and informed me that he had just witnessed a dead person laying on the ground, blood splattered everywhere. The scene happened behind Building A (our building) facing Font Blvd. Ambulance, Paramedics, Police...name it...It was scary, crazy, unexpected. RIP IVAN ZIMMERMAN.
SF Gate Article on the incident
LAWRENCE ZEEGEN
12.4.05: So I went to Borders at Stonestown tonight. I was there for about 3 hours or so yet within that 3-hour period, I was able to consumer 3 Large Lattes so now i'm on a freakin' sugar high with a wee bit headache. I love bookstores especially Borders because I can just cuddle up in the corner of the Design Section and amazed at the quantity of design/art books that they have. It seriously fascinates me to the point that I go 3 rounds or so viewing the whole shelf. Talk about living, breathing design. So my aunt gave me this $20 gift card for Borders and I thought "fine i'll go up to $40 on a book." I found this book: Digital Illustration: A Master Class in Creative-Making by Lawrence Zeegen. Just what I needed all this time...a very informational/visually stunning book fusing illustration techniques with graphic design. So I bought it to add to my library of oober cool books for reference and/or inspiration. I should be studying for finals but whatever...
KONKLUZION.

No comments:
Post a Comment