GREEN DESIGNcurrently listening to: Bruce Springsteen's "Secret Garden"
Tonight's the last day of lecture for my Design History class. I'm sad and inspired: sad because an important part of my design life is coming to a close end, inspired because i'm going out with newfound knowledge not only on the basis of history but also practical applications and socio-cultural considerations in design. We ended the final lecture with Green Design, its historical roots, the important people/organizations who implement it, and a close look on its complexities, effectiveness, and its promise for a better tomorrow.
Throughout my whole career in design, i've been questioning my role in society, not only as a designer of products, but more so as a consumer of goods. The final lecture opened my eyes to so many possibilities in "better design in respect to nature". The fact that society is now slowly realizing the high importance of the environment as it relates to our lifestyle is a great case study. I HOPE TO BE AN ADVOCATE OF GREEN DESIGN IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER: be it design considerations (materials, processes etc.), environment awareness (knowledge of the implications), or responsible consuming (recycle, reuse, reduce), etc.
"AT WHAT COST?": 3 simple words that can make all that difference.
I'm continuously learning on how to be better: in attitudes, perspectives, opinions...I grow by every idea that filters through like a tiny, little seedling that sprouts up through the help of rain, sunshine and good soil. I will become a continually growing tree, with its roots held tight in the ground and its branches constantly reaching for the stars. I'm Jason-in-Progress.
SUSTAIN YOURSELF! with an interesting read: TEACHING GREEN: DESIGN WITH VALUES, a Metropolis magazine web article

No comments:
Post a Comment